It's my birthday!
I'm actually sort of in denial about turning 27. I'm officially in my late twenties, and that feels weird.
When I was a kid, I visualized 27 very differently from what it actually is. 
I guess we all do that don't we. 

Growing up, I thought people in their late 20s were so mature and put together. That they definitely had life figured out, and that they all were, for sure, living the dream. 
Funny how you think of something a certain way for so long, and then you actually experience it and it's nothing like you expected. 

27 is not different than I expected in a bad way. It's just that I almost still feel like a kid thinking about what it will be like when I'm a grown up. There are so many things still ahead of me in life to look forward to, and that gets me all kinds of excited. 

But, even though I will hopefully have many more years ahead of me, I have still had 27 years already that have been very good to me. 
I've learned a lot of things, most of them the hard way, and I wanted to share them with you.

I know lists like these are a dime a dozen, but I enjoyed reflecting on some of these items.
Plus I just love lists. 
I encourage you to write a list like this on your birthday, even if you don't post it on the internet. 

So here's what I've picked up in my 27 years on this earth.
One tip for each year.



1. Happiness is not a destination. It's in the journey.
More on that here

2. You will never be able to make everybody happy, and it's not your job to "fix" another person.

3. And vice versa, you cannot rely on another person to make you happy or "fix" you. 

4. Your house will never be clean if you actually live in it. 

5. It’s impossible to truly have it all.
I feel like every single day, I have to sacrifice SOMETHING.
There are only 24 hours in a day, so sacrifice is part of life. 

6. If every company had the customer service of Amazon, Disney World, and Chick Fil A, the world would be a better place. 

7. A day of self love does not equal a day of laziness.
More on that here

8. Don't ever ask a woman if she's pregnant.
(I'm talking to you, Dad.)

9. Don't ask couples when they're going to have kids.
More on that here.

10. If you don’t wear something within 2 weeks of buying it, return it. 
You. Will. Never. Wear. It.

11. Wear your retainers as long as possible.
(But throw them away eventually because that's gross).

12. A good hat will carry you through even the worst bad hair days.

13. Use sunscreen. Your skin will thank you.
Fake Bake has changed my life.

14. Invite friends over even if you think the house is a wreck. Chances are, it's not as bad as you think and you don't have to be perfect to be a great hostess. 

15. Some people will dislike you for reasons you can't control. And that’s their problem, not yours. 

16. The truest friends will pick up with you right where you left off, as if no time has passed. 

17. Pay off your car and drive it till the wheels fall off. 

18. Set aside a “giving” budget and add to it each paycheck. It makes giving a joy when you know you have plenty just sitting there to give away. 

19. Cable is 100% not worth it. 

20. If you see something that you know a loved one would like, buy it, and give it to them as a "just because" gift. 

21. A little lip color goes a long way.

22. Don’t buy a piece of clothing unless you can already visualize how you’re going to wear it. 

23. If your boyfriend doesn't get along with your friends, it's not a good sign.

24. Along those lines, pay attention to red flags, and avoid entering relationships where there are a lot of them. 

25. Perfect a few simple, but delicious, recipes and serve those when you have company. 

26. Invest in a really nice bra.
And if your husband fusses about how expensive it is, tell him to grow a set of boobs and let you know what he'd like holding his up. 
*actual conversation Greg and I had in Soma*

27. If you have a great day, write down what happened to make it so amazing. You will want to remember days like that.





I hope you enjoyed reading my b-day reflections and that you have a great day!
Thanks so much for following along and being such great friends!

XOXO,
Abby



shop the post



*I receive a small commission for purchases made through links in this post.
However, I simply promote the brands and products that I love, and all opinions are my own.*